This might seem contradictory to what many women think is a good idea, but the fact of the matter is that “familiarity breeds contempt”. In short, too much of you, can mean too little of him permanently. So the key is to be there, without being the only thing there.
An emotional man cave, can be a few hours, a few days or even weeks. It’s time that you let, and even encourage your man to spend by himself. Enjoying the things he enjoys, be it reading, surfing, Baseball or video games, without criticism. This last part is key. In this hectic world, not only do we sometimes need physical space, but we need mental space as well. Time that we can spend in solitude with our thoughts and enjoying life’s little pleasures, without constant interruption.
5. Men can be solitary creatures. While not true of all women, we can often be more gregarious and social than men. Trying to force your significant other to hang out with people as much as you do, will only put them on the defensive, once someone is on the defensive they don’t want to be around you.
4. Having a mental break from people is good for both men and women. By allowing your boyfriend or husband to have an emotional man cave, you also helping yourself. Just remember not to fill it up with other outside “chatter”. Quiet and solitude can be key to emotional growth and mental health.
3. As the saying goes, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”. This is very true, especially within interpersonal relationships. Don’t think of his need to get away from you as him saying that he doesn’t want to be around you. Think of it as him saying that, he wants to yearn for you.
2. You can help him become less needy. Some men are the types that can do just about anything in the world but don’t let him face choosing which shirt he should wear on his own. By giving him some mental space you encourage him to make basic decisions without you.
1. He’ll simply adore the fact that you encourage him to take some time to himself. Which will only help his love and appreciation for you to grow. After all, if the shoe we’re on the other foot, wouldn’t you feel the same?